Sunday, April 20, 2008

I just got an email from a friend about Matt Hart and how Slope editions is going to publish a book of his coming up here pretty soon, which is nice because I wanted to tell you that today, Sunday, will be a great night for poetry at Pegasus by all accounts because Matt Hart is reading and because I wanted to tell you about Amanda Nadelberg and John Sakkis.

John Sakkis is a nice guy whose poetry is quite good. I like him and his poetry.

Amanda Nadelberg has become one of my favorite readers. After her first poem, I thought, "why the hell is no one I know at this reading?" and "I can't wait to read her book" and "what a fool I am for not knowing who Amanda Nadelberg is!" I bought her book, and am reading it right now. I don't want to to say anything about it yet except that I like it so far, mostly, and I think that she is such a cool person, that I wish I had more of an effort to get to know her at the reading.

At the reading, I spent some time with John Sakkis, who is a very San Francisco poet; I don't know what that means, but I think I am right. I never feel like poets from San Francisco like me, but I liked him, and I like his chapbook, and I like Logan Ryan Smith and Chad Sweeney and other San francisco people. But seriously, I always think they all hate me for some reason. My favorite things about John Sakkis is that he is doing something that I love to do and what all the kids in Brooklyn love to do, that is hold readings in his apartment. I really want to go, but I don't want to make other people feel awkward when I go, so I am thinking it over. It's not that I care if people don't like me, but I don't want to ruin other people's parties just because someone there doesn't like the way I think about poetry. A lot of people don't like the way I think about poetry and poets.

If you don't know what Slope or Transmission is, you don't know enought about poetry presses and are twice as stupid as I am. You know what I love about the poetry publishing world? I will never know everyone or know how it all works. I didn't know who Slope was until last night, and that makes me stupid. They are very hot, I guess, and they obviously have great taste, publishing Amanda.

I am not gong to proofread this. I am tired and want to go to bed.

No comments: